Here at Community Contacts Inc., we strive to reach as many of our customers in need that we can. This program year, we are offering online applications for our customers that live in Kane and DeKalb County Illinois to offer more access to our Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program.

While we are now offering online applications, we will still be offering our phone and in-person appointments in our offices in Elgin, Aurora and DeKalb. If you would be more comfortable meeting with an intake worker to submit your application, you can call us at (847) 697-4400 to schedule an appointment, or visit!

Click the button below to begin your online application. The information you enter is the same information that would be asked of you during an interview with an intake worker. Please pay close attention to all fields, and answer all questions accurately– it will be verified later.

Once you’ve finished your application, you will be prompted to upload your documents to our secure documentation portal– the link to this site can also be found below, and you will receive an email at the address you provided with the link as well (if it does not appear, check your spam folder).

Zero Income Households

If your household has had zero income in the last 30 days, every adult, (18 years of age or older) must submit 2 of the following documents to prove zero income.

1. A current letter from Public Aid (DHS) stating your benefits or proof of application for any DHS programs.

2. A copy of your Link and Medical card.

3. A letter from Housing Authority stating that your current rent is zero.

4. A letter from last employer stating your last day of work, within the last year.

5. A letter from Unemployment stating that your benefits have been exhausted or that you were denied, within the last year.

6. A recent letter from Social Security, stating your latest income or denial of benefits.

7. A denial letter from Workmen’s Compensation or from Short Term Disability.

8. If you are a full time student (12 or more credit hours), a copy of your current class schedule, with your name printed on it.

9. If someone is providing you cash assistance (in the last 30 days), a letter from the person providing the assistance stating the exact amount given, signed with their phone number.

10. If someone has given you a loan in the last 30 days with the expectation of it being repaid, a letter from the provider stating the exact amount loaned, signed with their phone number.

Households with Income

We need proof of any and all income received by household members  for the 30 days before your application. The following are examples of income we need proof of:
  • Wages
    • Frequency…
      • Weekly: 4 Pay-stubs
      • Bi-Weekly: 2 Pay-stubs
      • Twice per month on fixed dates (ex: 1st & 15th): 2 Pay-stubs
      • Once per month: 1 Pay-stub
  • Pension
    • Bank statement (showing deposited amount & recipient name)
    • Current Award Letter
  • SSA or SSI
    • Bank statement (showing deposited amount & recipient name)
    • Current Award Letter
  • Child Support
    • Court order document stating the amount of child support and the frequency it is received
    • A printout/screenshot of payment history on child support website
    • A written letter from the provider of child support stating exact amounts given, signed, dated with their phone number
  • Unemployment
    • A U/I Finding letter (front and back)
    • A printout/screenshot of payment details from unemployment website (NOT payment history)
  • Self Employment
    • Proof of all expenses
      • Receipts
      • Statements
      • Bank statement(s) with all expenses indicated clearly, covering the entire 30 day period.
    • Proof of all income
      • Receipts
      • Statements
      • Bank statement(s) with all income indicated clearly, covering the entire 30 day period.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

  • What if I am not in the priority period?
    • Your application will be held until you are eligible, and it will be processed by a CCI staff member as soon as possible. Your status letter will arrive 45 days after the application is entered. 
  • What should I do if my application is denied for not being in the priority period?
    • You will not need to reapply unless there is a separate, unrelated issue with your application– we will be reprocessing applications submitted in the wrong priority period when open enrollment begins on December 1st.
  • What should I do if my application is denied?
    • If your application is denied, you can call us at (847) 697-4400 and we’d be happy to help you understand our decision and, if possible, overturn the denial on your application.
  • What if I don’t feel comfortable or don’t know how to submit an online application?
    • We understand that this application process will not work for all of our customers. That is why we are still offering in-person appointments. If you cannot or don’t want to submit an online application, you are welcome to call us at (847) 697-4400 or visit (when available) to schedule an appointment in one of our intake sites.
  • How will my application be processed?
    • Your application and documents will be received by a Community Contacts employee and entered. If we will require any additional documentation, we will contact you by phone or email. Applications take about 30 days to process on average.
  • How will I know the status of my application?
    • You will receive a letter in the mail in about 45 days after your application is entered.
  • Why have I not heard anything from you about my application?
    • We sincerely appreciate your patience as we process yours, and the rest of our customers applications. We are currently short staffed and are doing our best to serve our customers in a timely manner. If your application has been entered and processing for more than 45 days, feel free to call us at (847) 697-4400 and we can investigate the matter further.
  • How long will it take to see a payment on the bill?
    • After processing, it can take up to 1 or 2 billing cycles for our payment to show up on your bill.
  • What should I do if I get a disconnection notice/get disconnected after I’ve submitted my application?
    • We recommend that you notify the utility that you’ve applied for LIHEAP. We also recommend contacting the utility and trying to set up some type of payment plan (our benefit will not change due to a payment plan). After you have done those things, please call us at (847) 697-4400 so we can process your application as an emergency re-connection assistance application.
  • What should I do if I’m planning to move very soon?
    • We suggest that you wait to apply until you are moved into your new home. Once you are moved in, call your county’s LIHEAP office and schedule an appointment. If you’ve already submitted your application with us, please notify us immediately and we can withdraw it.
    • Why?
      • It can take up to 90 days for your benefit to be completely paid to the utility. A customer can only receive a benefit once per program year. If you are approved and your benefit is paid to a closed account, it will be refunded to the original grant it was paid from and you will have to wait to reapply until the next program year.
  • What should I do if I have already moved?
    • If your application has not been completely processed and paid, you can call and notify us of the situation and we can work to a solution together. If the benefit has already been paid, it is between you and the utility to transfer funds if it is a possibility.
  • Why is my benefit amount so much less than before?
    • The following is direct wording from the state regarding this matter:

The response the LAA [Local Administering Agency] should be able to give to customers is:  the past 3 years Illinois has received supplemental state and federal funding that allowed us to set higher benefits and to keep them higher from one program year to the next.  This year we do not have that extra funding, so the benefit amounts had to be adjusted accordingly.

If the customer isn’t satisfied with that response from the LAA [Local Administering Agency] staff, then it is within the customer’s appeal rights to appeal the amount of benefit they have received.  The LAA [Local Administering Agency] would need to review the customer’s file and set up an Informal Conference with the customer to explain the same thing.  The Informal Conference is the first step of a formal appeal.

Additionally, some customers have complained the LIHEAP benefit is split 50/50 between the natural gas and electric accounts (which is a change from last year where it was 2/3s gas and 1/3 electric); that change was made to reflect current price ratios throughout the state.